Welcome to Blind Yoga
With over 20 million people in the U.S. exploring the healing benefits of yoga, Beginning Yoga for the Blind and Visually Impaired now brings yoga to the blind and low vision community.
Marty Klein, a blind author, workshop leader and yoga enthusiast and Gretchen Hein, a certified yoga teacher, combine their knowledge and insights to bring you a dynamic and inspiring introduction to the basics of yoga. Listen to Marty's Encouraging Words About Yoga
Buy Digital Download Now for $19.95 The digital download of Beginning Yoga for the Blind and Visually Impaired now $19.95.
Buy 5CD Set Now for $31.95 5 CD set of Beginning Yoga for the Blind and Visually Impaired now $31.95 plus shipping.
Inside this 5 CD set you’ll find:
- Physical activities that develop your sense of body awareness and alignment or cultivate a deeper spatial sense of your body and proper alignment.
- Basic stretches that tone the body, develop flexibility and strength as well as encourage deep relaxation.
- 24 basic yoga poses presented in a clear, step-by-step manner, specially designed for those with little or no sight. Listen to a description of the Cobra Pose
- How to use a yoga mat and other props as guides when you practice.
- Special insights for the blind and visually impaired from the blind perspective.
- Tips for yoga teachers for their blind and visually impaired students.
- Directions for programming your own yoga sequences.
- Listen to Organization of this CD Series and Sequencing
The contents for each CD
The poses are grouped according to starting position, with one pose per track on CD's 2 and 3 to help make this an easy to follow, easy to use, easy to find a pose yoga package. CD 4 which takes you through what you would find in a yoga class, each pose has its own track as well.
- CD 1: Introductions, Attitude for Practicing Yoga, Body Awareness and Alignment, Using Props, Mat Alignment and Glossary.
- CD 2: Introduction to yoga and Standing Poses.
- CD 3: Back Extending Poses, Seated Forward Bending Poses, Poses from a Kneeling Position, and Supine Poses.
- CD 4: Yoga Flow: an hour long sequence that begins with a centering activity, moves through a series of postures and closes with deep relaxation.
- CD 5: About Yoga Classes - for Students, About Visually Impaired Students - for Yoga Teachers, Organization of this CD Series; Traditions, Disclaimer, Contraindications, Credits, Closing Notes.
I love to go to the movies, and now with descriptive video to help make films accessible for blind folks, it’s become an enjoyable evening out for me and my partner. But in all my years I have rarely seen a blind character who was portrayed as strong. However I’ve seen a multitude of blind characters who were portrayed as frail, frightened, or helpless; only to be saved by some sighted hero.
Well, I’m feeling strong these days and I love it. I do not know of any movies coming out soon with strong blind characters, but you don’t have to wait for those films to take charge of your own image. I give my yoga practice lots of credit for my development into a stronger person. I have been, and am still, committed to practicing yoga every day.
So thank you for choosing Blind Yoga as a way to help you begin to learn yoga and to assist you on your path towards becoming stronger and healthier.